Your vehicle’s battery is flat? Do not panic! Because, we are going to show you a very easy method to start your car without being expert of car. This process is generally known as jump starting a car. It is the first lesson of something called self-car repair.
- You try to start and nothing happens or a little sound likes a click.
- You turn on the switch and see no lights (indications) on. It means is that your car battery is totally flat, but generally it still has a bit of energy to turn on these.
- You try to start car but starter produces very weak noise (as compared to normal), it means your car battery does not have enough current.
There are very easy tests to check the condition of your car battery. Read car battery testing at home.
So in this scenario, you can apply the method given below.
No sophisticated equipment is required for jump starting a car. Only pair of connecting cables (one red and one black) preferably is having crocodile clips at both ends. Conveniently, they are called jumper cables. Ideal length is 2 to 4 meter. In terms of wire gauge, Gauge 6 is a standard size for car jumper cables.
Dos and Dons
- Find the location of the battery and identify its positive and negative terminals. Preferably, refer to the manufacturer’s manual. All models do not have the same configuration or are not in the same place. Sometimes, battery may be located outside the engine compartment.
- Do not recharge a battery that shows signs of deterioration such as the presence of frost, deformations, and bulges in the walls, or that emit a particular odor.
- Do not use damaged, rusted cables with bare wires or smears.
- When connecting two cars, remember to keep the two vehicles away, apply the hand brakes and turn off all electrical accessories (heating, lighting, gps, telephone).
- Once the engine of the failed vehicle restart, let the battery charge by turning the motor and activating electrical accessories such as ventilation or defrost for a few minutes. This maneuver avoids the risk of over voltage, by operating the charging system at full potential.
Step By step Procedure to jump start a car
Step 1 Setting UP
It is advisable to turn off all the energy consumers of the two cars as opposed to what the picture shows at the bottom (headlights, air conditioning, radio, wind tunnel). However, there is nothing dramatic in having forgotten it. Finally, it is absolutely necessary that the two batteries should have the same voltage. Mostly this should be the case because all cars have the 12 volts except trucks that can have 24V battery.
Park both vehicles side by side as shown.
Step 2: Cable connections
Connect the RED wire to the + (positive) terminals of the two batteries. Make sure that terminals are not covered with plastics or other protections that can prevent electrical contact with the clamps. The + terminals of the batteries are also red.
Then connect one end of the BLACK – (negative) wire to negative terminal of the charged battery car. Connect other end to a bare metal part of the car (in the engine compartment). This metallic element will then serve as a mass or ground.
THE MASS represents any metal part of the car. Use unpainted parts so that the electrical contact can be made.
Step 3 Starting the Cars
The cable connections on the batteries are now correct and there is only to start the cars in a certain order.
Firstly, start the working vehicle.
Than wait for a minute or two depending upon the time flat battery condition and time since it is dead.
Now, it’s time to make an attempt to start the vehicle whose battery is flat. If it does not work, be sure to check the correct connection of all the cables, as it often happens that one of them does not have a good contact.
If all steps are done properly, the car will be started successfully.
Now the dead car is started.
Step 4 Disconnect cables
Now you have to get rid of the connected cables. This has to be done in reverse order of assembly, which seems logical
So firstly remove the black cable.
Finally, the RED one.
However, everything is not finished yet.
Step 5 Necessary Drive
Now you need to recharge the battery by running the motor. The alternator (which creates electricity) will then recharge the battery.
Finally, let the engine run for an hour or go for a small ride to recharge the battery with the alternator. If it has not been damaged too much, it will return to its original shape! Good road !
Besides this method, battery charger can also be used. Read how to charge car battery
If the Jump-Start Fails
In case, if your car dies shortly after it is started or the jump start fails at all then there may be other issues to cope with. Life span of most batteries is 4-6 years. If your battery completed its life span, it needs replacement. Learn to maximize the life of battery by following easy maintenance tips.
However, if your car battery is working fine, other related components needs to be checked such as
- starter connection
- faulty alternator
- battery corrosion
- ignition switch
It is recommended to contact car mechanic if you could not figure out the problem.